Ask a Urologist   »  

Scrotum and penis is red. Prescibed steroid cream and anti fungal powder. Was relieved but symptoms returned. Suggest?

I have wrote here before for the same issue. My scrotum is really shrivled and red most days. Often there is a red stripe under my penis where its laying on the scrotum. Its ussually worse first thing in the morning and during bowel movements. A doctor here told me use steriod cream and antifungal powder for a few days which i did. It did instantly look better but eventually came back. It hasnt been quite as red in color since though. I usually put gold bond powder on before work
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need investigations

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

The redness over the scrotum in your case can be due to two most common causes. First is an infection either bacterial or fungal and the second is an allergic reaction.
First of all it needs to be investigated. A swab should be taken and the same should be sent for culture and sensitivity. This will give us a idea about the causative organism and the exact treatment that would be required.
Also you should get a Complete blood count done which will give us a idea of eosinophils suggestive or allergies.
One distant possibility is filariasis which can cause such a symptom and responds well to DEC.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.