Schizophrenic. Taking LSD. Now feels normal. Should continue medication. Suggest?

My brother became schizophrenic back in the '70's from taking LSD. He is now 63 years old and just informed me that he cancelled his mental health appt because they want him to pay prior to the visit. I asked if he needs his medication refilled and he informed me he stopped taking the haldol he had been taking at night. He actually seemed better than ever today because I think he was having Parkinson's type symptoms from the haldol--like flat affect and lack of facial expression, abrupt speech, stooped posture. Also he was constantly smelling his arm. Today he seemed more normal. I told him he seemed fine. He has a lot less stress in his life because he's living with his ex-wife, he has me, and he has a trust fund to help subsidize his SSDI. So he's more secure than he's ever been in his life and I always thought he'd have it easier once he became a XXXXXXX citizen since he would blend in better--people might think he's just old instead of odd. Do you think he can stay off medication--at least for now? Perhaps his psychiatrist as needed.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It do not think its actually time and very safe for him to stay off medication now. The ideal is having medication reduced gradually and completely withdrawn by a treating physician. Staying off medication requires monitoring and his doctor, preferably his psychiatrist.

I suggest you have his primary care physician,s reevaluation and opinion on hoe to proceed and actually put him off medication, depending on his clinical assessment and if need really be. As I hope you consult a physician first, thanks and kind regards. Feel very free asking further specific questions. I shall be happy making my modest contributions.

Kind regards as I wish him good health.

Bain LE, MD.
Follow-up: Schizophrenic. Taking LSD. Now feels normal. Should continue medication. Suggest? 16 hours later
Yes, I know you are right. I will talk to my brother about this more. Thanks for your response.
Hi and thank you too as I wish him good health. Kind regards and feel very free in case you need help in the future.

Bain LE, MD.