SGPT & SGOT levels concern, overweight, high cholesterol & triglycerides. What to do to get them normal & is liver damaged?

Hi I just got some blood tests back which were done as part of insurance policy. My SGPT is 69 and SGOT is 44. I am overweight (86kg, height 5 feet 10 inch/177cm). My cholestrol is also high at 217 and so is triglycerides at 311. Rest all the numbers seem okay. Report is attached. I do not drink much (once a I have quit for good). Can you tell me what should I do to get these numbers back in order ? Do I need urgent medical attention ? Is my liver damaged ?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

Thank you for sharing the details and report.

It would be good to know your occupation, blood pressure reading as well. These are also risk factors that pose to the heart.

I do not find any report significant to cause worry. The SGPT and SGOT levels should not be a cause of concern. High triglyceride level can contribute to those high normal values.

However total cholesterol and triglycerides are over shooting. At this moment I would advice you the following short term and long term modifications

1) Weight loss brings in a lot of change, you should be able to maintain it over long term.
2) An increase intake of vegetables and fruits upto 6 cups a day in total
3) Adding fish to the diet, twice a week is said to be cardioprotective, if you do not consume fish, Omega 3 fatty acid supplements can be an alternative
4) Aerobic exercise, amounting to 40 minutes, 5 days a week will bring back the levels. Jogging / Cycling / Brisk Walk / Swimming are ideal and can be easily put into routine.

I do not think there is a need for any medicines unless your blood pressure is shooting over 140/90 mm Hg on two different occasions taken at least a week apart.

You can clarify with me if you have any queries left unanswered.

Follow-up: SGPT & SGOT levels concern, overweight, high cholesterol & triglycerides. What to do to get them normal & is liver damaged? 2 hours later
My blood pressure is 110/75. I have got it tested multiple times now. My job is software engineer and mostly office job.
I have started walking 2 kms everyday (brisk). After that I hit the gym and do cardio and cycling for 25-30 minutes. I am a non smoker. Quit 6 months back. I have also quit drinking completely now. I was not a very heavy drinker (2-3 pegs a month).

Should I do more exercise ? What more precautions should I take ? Your answer is very heartening doctor. Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 hours later

The other details points a healthy lifestyle.

Scale the exercise regimen to the suggested level. The current regimen is also good. A consistent exercise program is more likely to benefit and put your blood levels close to normal range.

Follow the diet regulation as discussed in my earlier reply.

If you had quit alcohol it is good step forward.

Please use any answer clarification before you rate my answer.