Runny nose, head cold and watery eyes after increase of Ramipril for blood pressure.

Question
Hello.
I'am a 47 year old man.
Last week my GP increased my Ramipril blood pressure capsules to 10 mg.
Since then I have had a runny nose,head cold and watery eyes.Could it be this?
Thankyou.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Apparently, it looks like you are experiencing harmless side effects of your recent flouxetine drug rather than ramipril. Flouxetine is known to cause those symptoms. But, these are not serious to begin with. Keep an eye on the severity though.

Ramipril is known to cause flu like symptoms in some, but never runny nose, on the contrary it decreases secretions.

I would suggest good natural steam inhalation for the moment, until you get stabilized on the drugs which you eventually will after couple of days.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.

Follow-up: Runny nose, head cold and watery eyes after increase of Ramipril for blood pressure. 17 minutes later
Thankyou for contacting me.

Should I persivere with the current medications at the current strength and put up with the symptoms a little longer(I know one shouldn't stop taking these particular medications suddenly)How long do you think these side effects will last for?

Should I go to see my GP,who is very good,as soon as possible?

Thankyou and kind Regards

XXXXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 25 minutes later
Thanks for the reply Mr XXXXXXX

I would ideally put those symptoms happening for a couple of days and not any longer.

Yes, visiting your GP would be the best bet. He would be able to assess the severity better than me and decide the action.

Wish you the best of health.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.