Ask a Urologist   »  

Rise in PSA after prostatectomy, taken Casodex

Rise in PSA after prostatectomy
I had surgery in March 2010, subsequently, my first PSA test in May 2010 was 0.1, the second in November 2010 was 0.2, and now the third in February 2011 is 0.3. My doctor recommended that I take Casodex 50mg. for three months and then take another PSA test, however, I am worried about the increase. Should I be? What other options do I have?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later

You are certainly witnessing an increase in PSA and the possibilities are that you have a residual prostatic tissue, recurrence of the disease locally or metastases. Your PSA has been rising very slowly and I shall not recommend any active intervention at present.

However, I shall not advise you to start on Casodex as it shall surely normalize the PSA and we may miss the progression of disease. I shall suggest you to repeat PSA after 3 months and if it is still raising then you shall have to be investigated further with local examination, TRUS (Trans Rectal Ultrasonography of Prostate), liver function test, chest X-ray, bone scan.