Right throat and tongue hurt. Causes?

The right side of my throat hurts as well as the right side of my tongue. this was a sudden onset. I woke up feeling bad yesterday and nothing I do relieves the throat and tongue pain.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Sudden onset of pain in right side of tongue along with pain in throat can be due to-
1. Oral herpes
2. Mouth ulcers- at the base of the tongue
3. Diabetic neuropathy
4. Dentures that irritate the tongue
5. Neuralgia

A direct examination is teh only way to make a diagnosis. Consulting an ENT specialist will be helpful.
Practice good oral hygiene. Be sure to eat a well-balanced diet.
Some minor sores of tongue do heal on their own.
See your dentist if you have a tongue problem caused by dentures.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.