Resurfacing lower back sprain after curing it few days ago. Should I see a physiotherapist?

Hi, I sprained my lower back 5 days ago. I was lifting a heavy object from a standing position and immediately felt a sharp pain on my lower left back. The first two days were quite painful, then I was starting to feel some relief on the 3rd day and did a bit of walking around. But now I'm again in constant pain having difficulty sleeping and doing any activities. I have been taking paracetamol and ibuprofen which do alleviate the pain but not for long. Should I go and see a physiotherapist?
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer, and I am here to help you with your query

Thanks for the query

All your symptoms you have described lower back pain , pain is severe but temporary relief from ibuprofen , difficult to sleep and do any activity lead to acute sciatica or lumbar radiculopathy OR more commonly known as lower back pain in the degenerative disc areas that is L3,L4,L5,S1 area leading to lumbar stenosis , that causes severe pain in almost any posture you make, triggered by lifting heavy objects .

Your pain right now is due to nerves compression in your lower back due to mis alignment of vertebras (disk herniation) then there is reactionary muscle spasms of the surrounding areas

You need to go to ER as following therapies exist for acute severe lower back pain(lumbar radiculopathy)

Analgesics ,NSAIDS but are short acting , but you will require opioids to relief the pain

Muscle relaxant ( tizanidine ) to relieve the muscle spasm

IF above fails then an injection in your back known as steroid epidural injection

Get an x-ray lower back just to confirm

Don’t worry you will be fine , just follow what i said , and your pain will go away