Reduced carbohydrate intake, loss of weight. Is my weight loss normal, how to regain the lost weight?

I was 51kg several 5 months back.. but when i recently checked it is 46.5 kg.. in last 3 months i have changed my diet by reeducing carbohydrate intake (example: replaced rice by whole wheat) and stopped eating non-veg.. This changes to the diet I have made to remedy my temporary constipation.. Is this increased rates of weight loss normal or there is something unusual that I should be bothered?
I don't feel tired or anything else.. Also how can I gain my lost weight?
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

The weight you have lost is within the acceptable limit. I think the reason for the weight loss is the dietary changes that you have made rather than any illness.

There is an index known as body mass index (BMI). I advice you to calculate your BMI, calculators are available in net. You have to enter weight and your height in the boxes provided it will give your BMI.

Normal BMI is 18.5–24.9, below 18.5 is considered as underweight. If your underweight then you can think of increasing your weight.

As you have mentioned you don't feel tired or so i don't think you need to worry.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Reduced carbohydrate intake, loss of weight. Is my weight loss normal, how to regain the lost weight? 9 hours later
Thank you for getting back to my query

My BMI is 15.6 which is underweight for my height. My earlier weight was close to normal range 18.3. Please let me know how to gain back the lost weight. What changes can I make to my diet to gain back the weight faster. I am going to start taking milk and egg everyday. Please let me know any further additions / changes that may accelerate the weight gain

Thanks in advance

You are underweight, the dietary changes you have done is responsible for this.

Weight gain and loss should always be gradual process. I not in favor of gaining weight in week or so.

I advice you the dietary changes that you had made gradually stop it. Rice will be helpful in gaining weight.

Vegetarian Foods That can Help Gain Weight
Nuts, seeds, legumes, drumstick and cereals, potato, root vegetables and dry fruits not only these will help in gaining your weight but also address your constipation problem.

Avoid smoking, Carbonated drinks, like beer.

I advice you to consult the dietitian regarding the food, they will tell you among the food items which you are routinely consuming will be helpful in gaining weight.

I hope i have addressed all your queries.

Wish you good health.