Redness and itching in vagina, nausea. Had protected sex and oral sex

Question
The left side of my vagina is raw, red and itchy and I just became nauseated today. I had protected sex with a new partner a week and a half ago, and he did perform oral sex.
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
There are two probable causes of the symptoms you have described. It could be either trauma or an infection.
Trauma is possible if you guys had a rough intercourse with difficult friction. However, trauma is less likely as you have developed symptoms only a week and a half later.
Genital tract infections are not only sexually transmitted. Any activity even a protected sex can predispose to genital tract infection and not necessarily sexually transmitted infection. More so, genital tract infections are favored by use of hormonal contraceptives, vaginal douching, use of antiseptics for douching, poor hygiene, and use of non cotton and tight under wears. Yeast infection and trichomoniasis are the two common causes of infections with itching. Yeast infection is not thought to be sexually transmitted but is assumed to be favored by sexual intercourse where as trichomoniasis is sexually transmitted. It is also possible to be an infection from a bacterial vaginosis which is simple bacterial infection of the vagina. Since your symptoms seem to be only on one side, it is important to rule out an affection of a gland (bartholin's cyst or abscess) which will also present with swelling at the side of the vagina. This can easily be done by your doctor.
What you need to do is XXXXXXX your doctor for detail examination and for a vaginal smear for microscopy, pH and KOH test to identify the causative agent.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have some clarifications to be made, I will be ready to help.
Best regards and hope this helps you.