Red lines across wrist, itching. Applied Hydrocortizone and Benadryl. Help

Jul 2012

I have two parallel red lines across my left wrist that developed from an unknown cause. The lines are approx. 1.5 inches long. The beginning had a scab over it, but it recently came off. About one inch below the diagonal parallel lines is a circular patch.

I have had this for over one week and no topical medicine makes it go away. All i remember is one night getting up at 3:30 am itching so badly I had to apply 1% hydrocortizone and Benedryl lotion before it stopped itching.

Note: The lines are too close together for both of them to be from severe itching as my fingertips are too wide. It DOES look as though I scratched myself with two fingers simultaneously. Thanks for your advice.
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there. Tx for your query. I viewed the attached photograph of the lesion as well & empathise with your situation. In my opinion, this is most likely an 'insect bite reaction' to some 'crawling' type of insect. It is also possible to be a result of a 'larval form' in what we term 'cutaneous larva migrans' if it is under the skin. Please use a stronger fluorinated cortisone ointment for 24-48hrs preferably coupled with an antibiotic (topical) (that you could aquire as an OTC-over the counter product) & if there is no respite in 24-48 hrs, do visit your local dermatologist who will re-assess it @ ground 0 & perhaps what is then required, may just be a simple office-procedure called 'cryotherapy' that is safe & can be done under the effect of local anaesthetic cream with minimal discomfort & rid you of your problem. Alternatively, he/she may choose to use lasers to the same end result. Do help this information is useful to you & wish you a speedy resolution. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist & Cosmetologist, XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.