Recurrent cold with sickness, diagnosed as allergies to dust & pollen

I catch cold very frequently and fell sick . Lats time i consulted a doctor he said it might be due to allergies to dust and pollen . But i m not exposed to much dust as i spend most of the time indoors.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 28 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:
1. You seem to be suffering from recurrent cold at present and most probably a diagnosis of allergic rhinosinusitis was made by your doctor.
2. You also have given a past history of being treated for GBS.
3. In such a scenario your recurrent cold needs to be investigated. Allergies need to be ruled out and it is very difficult to do them as per history and hence a serum allergy testing panel will definitely help in your case. Also supportive investigations like serum Immunoglobulin E level are required. In case of associated infection a local xray PNS (Para nasal sinuses - waters view ) will be required.
4. Once you are investigated on the above lines then we can treat the cause. Also if there are any chest complaints like cough or breathlessness the pulmonary function test with chest xray will be required.
5. Yearly flu shots will definitely help reduce the incidence of recurrent colds.
6. Thus I advise you to visit a Pulmonologist/ ENT surgeon and get yourself evaluated on the above lines.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra