Rectal pressure, discomfort while wiping, swelling above rectum. Done heavy lifting few days ago. Cause?

For the past few days I have been experienci.g what seems to be rectal pressure. It has begun to get more painful duri.g this week and i am not sure if it is due to the fact tbat i did some heavy lifting or the fact tbat its that timd of tbe month. Hesterday k went to the bathroom more tban nornal and had some discomfort when wiping. This when i went to tbe bathroom i realised that there is swelling alittle above the rectum.........
I am not constipated and each time I went to the restroom I was able to move my bowels. I also realised in the evening that I was very gasy..........not sure if it has anything to do with the pain around my rectum. It does not itch and the only discomfort is that of wanting to go and now the swelling
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I understand how it could be disturbing to notice such symptoms, especially for the first time. Before considering the various possibilities, we shall need to consider the following. any past history of hemorroids before? Past history of blood in the stool? History of anal itches? Chronic constipation lately? Fever?

The commonest cause of rectal pressure as such is piles or hemorroids. This is a condition that arises due to the distension of veins that drain the anal region, to supply venous blood to return to the heart. In cause of obstruction of these veins of incompetent valves in the veins, usually preventing back flow, these veins could become over distended causing piles or hemorroids.

Depending on the stage, the clinical presentation could range from a feeling of a mass or distension in the rectum, itches, bleeding, pain and prolapse in the very late stage. Treatment ranges from changes in the diet to vegetables, fruits and much water to avoid constipation, analgesics on case of severe pain, Vasoactive substances to potentiate the contraction of veins and at times surgery.

I suggest your consult a proctologist or gastroenteroloist for a proper clinical evaluation . A proper diagnosis shall determine appropriate tests and treatment.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Rectal pressure, discomfort while wiping, swelling above rectum. Done heavy lifting few days ago. Cause? 2 hours later
Thanks for responding Dr. In answering your questions I have never had problems with hemorroids or pile but I have experienced itching but thought nothing of it until todsy when it itched again. For the most part i do eat well with the occasional chesting. I only consume fruit and vegetable juice that I extract ..........and the occasional cheating. I co.sume whole wheat/whole grain products, and I am rarely constipated.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the answers,

Itches at times are experienced in piles. However, it could be appropriate to exclude the presence of parasites in stool, usually the whip worm that could case itches.

The clinical picture deserves a clinical examination and a formal exclusion of piles.

I strongly suggest you book an appointment with the proctologist or gastroenterologist. While waiting, a diet XXXXXXX in vegetables, fruits and enough fluids is advisable.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.