Recent ECG report shows sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia with short pr interval. What does this indicate?

Critical Care Specialist
Question
im 28 years old male during my recent body check up my ECG shows -- sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia with short pr interval other wise normal ecg

what should i do
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 8 hours later
Hello XXXXX
,

Your ECG findings that is sinus rhythm, means absolutely normal ECG .Sinus rhythm means the heart beat is arising from sinus node which is normal site of origin of beat .Sinus arrhythmia means change in heart beat with physiological functions, like respiration. Duration inhalation vagal activity is temporarily suppressed leading to immediate increase in heart rate. Exhalation resumes vagal activity and heart rate is decreased. This is also a normal process and not any disease.

PR interval interval does shorten during exercise as means of allowing heart rate to accelerate.
The presence of short PR interval can be normal but it can be related to structural heart disease like wolfe Parkinson white syndrome.

If there is no other finding in ECG, other than short PR interval and you don’t have any symptoms of cardiac disease like pain in left side of chest. Shortness of breath. it can be a normal finding and can be ignored, but if is associated with other finding in ECG (which you don’t have) and you have some cardiac symptoms, consultation with cardiologist is advisable for further work up for cause of short Pr interval.

Hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq