Rash on lower back. Does this sound like pityriasis rosea? How long to heal?

I have what I believe is a herald patch. It came up about 3 weeks ago, it's almost completely gone now and I have developed a very slight rash on my lower back. I was curious if this sounded like Pityriasis Rosea and if so how long does it take for these symptoms to go away and if I should be worried about it spreading more?
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kruti 6 hours later

I will be glad to be of assistance.

It does sound like pityriasis rosea.

It lasts for 4 to 6 weeks. It could spread in this period.

Pityriasis rosea is a viral infection which produces a rash with occasional itching.

It follows its own course and subsides on its own. It can involve back, chest, thighs but can spread to involve the whole body.

Treatment would be application of cortisone lotion twice a day to the affected areas.

This should help with any itching that you may have however it cannot cut short the course.

Please let me know if you have any queries.