Protected sexual encounter, pimple popped during sex. Precum may contact site. What's my risk of getting HIV?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi doctor,

I had a sexual encounter with a guy and it was all protected.

The problem is, I had a big pimple at my butt and I think it may have popped during sex. I am certain his semen didn't get near the pimple (as he semen was in the condom only) but his precum may. What's my risk of getting HIV?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 19 minutes later
Hello.

The chances are extremely negligible considering the protected sex.

I would like to know few more things as it will help me suggesting you better.

Was the pimple bleeding?
Was there any discharge from the pimple?

If the answer to both these questions is no, then the chances are extremely negligible as mucosal contact has not occurred with the body fluid. Also if he is known case of HIV then also the chances of you contacting the disease from him is dependent on his viral load and CD4 counts.

This can be categorized as minor exposure. But you should be careful in future with such encounters. Remember in future that after any type of high risk contact, clean the affected site with soap water and if there is major contact then post exposure prophylaxis should be started within 6 hours of exposure (you can visit an ART center/ your doctor for the prophylaxis).

As a precautionary measure after 3 months you can get yourself tested for HIV.

Hope the helps to solve your query. I will happy to answer your follow up queries if any.

Regards.

Follow-up: Protected sexual encounter, pimple popped during sex. Precum may contact site. What's my risk of getting HIV? 8 hours later
Thanks Dr!

I believe there may be some (but not a lot of) discharge from the pimple during sex. I examined the pimple when I got home after the encounter, and there was no discharge from it at that point, but the top bit of the pimple did feel soft and there appeared to be some discharge/liquid IN the pimple (neither my hand, nor a tissue, would detect any discharge coming out).

He advised me that he is HIV negative before the encounter, but obviously i don't have solid proof.

And I have "walked through" the whole sex encounter in my mind and there might be about 2-3 seconds of time that his penis might have got near the pimple but I did not feel that his penis ever touched the pimple direct.

Does this information change the situation?

Kind regards

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

After going through the information provided I would still like to say and stick to my previous comment that the risk of the infection is negligible.

Well getting tested for HIV in this case as you are not sure about the partners HIV status is good.

Do go for a P24 Antigen assay test which is very accurate and can detect HIV as early as after a month of exposure.

Wish you good health.