Exposed to HIV. On Truvada and other medication. What should I do?

HIV AIDS Specialist
I am a Negative XXXXXXX male and was exposed to HIV today by accident..I went to my Dr and he put me on Truvada and another medication as a preventive measure.. I am on disability and a fixed income and can not afford these meds.. What should I do.. I only have 48 hours from exposure to take these meds..
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 35 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

If you are sure that you had been exposed to HIV, it is better to have post exposure prophylaxis as early as possible. The sooner you take the medicine the chances of aborting the disease is more.

It is true that all the exposures are not necessarily infectious and there are people living without infection even after their regular sex with their infected partner and called as Sero-discordant pairs. But we can not take this chance always. Without wasting your time, come to a decision soon and take the truvada as early as possible as it reduces your chances of getting the disease.
If you are not able to spend money for a short course of Truvada for 4 weeks, then you have to repent life time and spend towards this cause for life time.
Good luck to you.
DR S.Murugan
Follow-up: Exposed to HIV. On Truvada and other medication. What should I do? 2 minutes later
this was not a Sexual exposure. I am on a limited income and was wondering if I go to the ER would they give me the medication I needed?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 minutes later
Welcome back.

You have not mentioned what type of exposure you had. Sometimes post exposure prophylaxis may not be indicated at all.
Without knowing the type of exposure I can not help you better.
As the prevention measure is important for any country,( prevent one more new case of HIV), you can get the drugs easily and at affordable price.
Approach the ER as early as possible as per your physician's instruction.
DR S.Murugan
Follow-up: Exposed to HIV. On Truvada and other medication. What should I do? 7 minutes later
I was in line at a coffee house and a guy infront of my broke his glass and blood sprayed on my face and inside my mouth. I just brushed my teeth and have bleeding gums along with a sore. The guy did not know his HIV status. I have AARP a medicare complete insurance plus I get extra help from the state. Even with the help the drugs cost $2800. I have to pay 15% of that cost or close to $500. I only make 1200 a month on disability for which my rent of $900 has to be paid.. With my other med I take( at a cost of $150 a month) would leave me $125 a month for food.. So as you see I can not afford to pay $500 for this treatment. My question is if I go to an ER can they give me the medication I need?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Welcome back.

The history given by you, blood splashed from a guy adjacent to you into your mouth (You had brushed just then and you had sore mouth and bleeding gums) carries a negligible risk for HIV as per CDC, Atlanta. So in my view, Truvada prophylaxis is not indicated to you especially when the individual's HIV status not known.

Regarding the facilities available at ER in your country I am not very much sure. You can check with the website WWW.WWWW.WW or call their helpline.
You need not worry and you are not at high risk.
Dr S.Murugan