Problems with the tips of fingers turning white and cold. Finger has lost feeling and turned blackish. Advise?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I always have problems with the tips of my fingers turning white and loosing feeling when it's cold, but this time with in minutes my finder lost feeling and turned blackish and now appears bruised from the tip to the knuckle. This again occurred when My hands got a little chilled. Please note I have a sister with the same condition, where her hands almost look dead in apperance when they get slightly cold. I am not sure what they told her she had, but I have never had it instantly turn almost black and bruised looking. Thanks
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
this is possibly condition called raynauds syndrom

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX
it can be normal physiological variation in some people who have increased neurovascular response on cold.
but it sounds like raynauds syndrome which can be seen in raynauds disease or in some other cases such as rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and other autoimmune disorders.
it usually don't have some serious consequances and all you need is to avoid cold environment and water. Also it can be treated by medicines such as vasodilatators or by surgical sympatectomy.
wish you good health.regards