Problems with bowel movement. Had undergone bladder prolapse surgery. Is the problem related to the surgery?

General Surgeon
I had bladder prolapse surgery at the time my OBGYN also tied up the rectum for support. This was five years ago.
Now I have problems with bowel movement even with laxatives and very excessive gas that I can't control. Which limits me to being able to get out of my home. My doctor says the surgery was successful and is not the problem. But I feel that it is somewhat related as I did not have this problem before. Also I have will sometimes not be able to control the bowels.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

If the surgery were performed with abdominal incision, it can affect intestines due to abdominal adhesions. Such adhesions can impede stool passage and can be a reason of partial bowels obstruction.
As you are older than 50, such symptoms should be always checked with colon cancer or colon polyps. So the colonoscopy is strongly advisable at your case. Especially if you have lost some weight recently, have bacterial infection, thyroid disease, medicines (Ca-blockers, antidepressants), bad diet (lack of fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake).

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have: abdominal X-ray (to rule out obstruction), blood work (to see if the hemoglobin level is correct), thyroid tests and stool tests. Colonoscopy should be also done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.