Prescribed with trazodone for sleep. What dosage I should take?

Jun 2015

I have been prescribed trazodone for sleep. I have one bottle but it is 4 yrs old can i use it? It is 100mg maybe I could cut it in half if is stronger.
Posted Thu, 24 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not to be taken without consultation

Detailed Answer:

Studies have shown it to cause certain serious side effects like arrhythmia, chest pain, shortness of breath/ difficulty in breathing, swelling of face & throat, hoarseness of voice, rashes, improper coordination of body/ uncontrolled shaking, dizziness, loss of consciousness, etc.
So, it should be taken only under the guidance of your Physician to prevent these unwanted side effects.
It is usually started at a lower dose & then gradually increased based on the response under constant monitoring.

Moreover, as the bottle is 4 yrs old, there are chances that that the medication might have crossed its expiry date.
Consuming such a kind of medication will increase the severity of the side effects.

So, it is advisable to visit your General Physician & take the medication under his guidance, according to the dose suggested by him after a proper clinical examination to rule out any risk factor for causation of the side effects.

Wishing you a good health.