Prescribed with Provera medroxyprogesterone acetate. Does it have any side effects?

Mar 2013
Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX thank you for answering my queries about my irregular bleeding.
My query was closed on line, though like to ask you review my history and let me know why my speacialist has put me on Provera medroxyprogesterone acetate 100mg though to only take half a table a day for 6 weeks. Im going on a Holiday and like to know will I have any side effects eg: to the sun and im due to have my period on the 15th of Sept, though only stopped bleeding with the previous medication where i took the table 3 times day to stop bleeding until i saw my specialist, Primlod something like that and start taking Provera... will i get my period with Provera, last think i want is to bleed for 26 days like a did last month whilst im on holiday.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 50 minutes later
I appreciate your writing to me.
Hope you have been well.
Unfortunately, I do not have access to that query also since it was closed to me too.
May I request you to copy and paste the entire conversation that we last had ,so that I can review that also in light of the recent question you have posed ?
I assure you I would do my best to guide you accordingly.
In case you are not able to access it, please let me know that also, so that we could request the XXXXXXX helpdesk to retrieve the conversation.
All the best.
Good day !
Follow-up: Prescribed with Provera medroxyprogesterone acetate. Does it have any side effects? 19 hours later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX I am unable to recall the entire history only my original query. Are you able to request this from Helpdesk to retrieve the conversation.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 26 minutes later
I did go through our entire conversation from the archives.
Well, Could you tell me in what way did the Specialist ( Dr. Claude ) examine you when you were referred to him for the SECOND time ( while you were on Primolut, which your GP gave you )?
Did he straight out put you on Provera, or was any additional testing ( D and C, hysteroscopy, ultrasound, blood tests - anything ) done ?
Basically, as I said, if a lady has abnormal menstrual bleeding in absence of any identifiable pathology ( in your case,nothing showing up on ultrasound ), then it is termed as AUB ( abnormal uterine bleeding ).
There is always an underlying hormonal imbalance which gives rise to this bleeding pattern.
Hence, the cycles are controlled with regular hormonal therapy, generally progesterone ( provera in your case ).
Once you take the medication regularly for the prescribed amount of time, and once you stop, it is expected that the natural hormonal clock will be reset and your periods will start happening regularly and normally.
Regarding your question, as long as you are on Provera, you should NOT bleed, you would have a withdrawal period only AFTER stopping Provera ( within a week maximum ).
So based on the date when you started Provera, you can now calculate when you would bleed.
You would not generally have any side effects due to sun exposure or any other activity while you are on holiday, as long as you do not ingest any other hormonal medication or antibiotics or such drugs which will interfere with the action of Provera.
Follow-up: Prescribed with Provera medroxyprogesterone acetate. Does it have any side effects? 27 hours later

I just like to give you a big hug if you were in Australia as you explain my questions. My GP prescribed Primolut until for the bleeding to stop and in until Dr Claude examined me. My speciailist Dr Claude reviewed the XXXXXXX ultrasound and I had a full blood test which I had the week prior to seeing him. No he said no D & C though we will try Provera for 6 weeks to restart my cycle as he cleaned at my Polyps in Feb this year when he did my 1st D & C and only D & C thats when he saw the firbroid via Hysterscopy photos. Though its only small less then 4cm if i recall correctly on the wall of my whoem. He asked if i was trying to concieve and I said NO, hence why he has given me Provera. PS: Will Krill Oil or Fish Oils interfere with Provera Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thank you ssoooooo much for your assistance I understand you and you are clear. Thank you so much. XXXXXXX
Am overwhelmed by your warmth !!
Thanks so much.
It makes my day when I see a person with so much genuine appreciation and goodwill.
Thank you again.
I would be happy to aid you whenever you should call upon me, its an honour, and a privilege too.
Irrespective of whether you want to conceive or not, the irregular menstrual bleeding has to be treated.
Else you would face the scourge of unpredictable and untimely bleeding, that could be abnormally heavy too as it is erratic.
Provera would help to regulate all of that.
Krill oil / Fish oil would not interfere with Provera, do not worry.
Wish you a wonderful holiday !
Follow-up: Prescribed with Provera medroxyprogesterone acetate. Does it have any side effects? 44 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX xx. I hope to relax and unstress - you know how it is when your career is very demanding but I also enjoy time is rare,i cherish every day.

Thank you once again.
You have answered all my concerns an so so so helpful.Thank you... i wish you an abudance lifetime of good health, love and happiness.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Thanks once more XXXXXXX
Just remember that even while you are on holiday, I am just a click away.
Feel free to write to me should you have any niggles.