Prescribed amitriptyline to help sleep and foot pain. Taking Zolpiden. Can these be taken together?

Dec 2014

I have been prescribed amitriptyline 25mg for help w/ sleep problems and foot pain. I have been taking zolpiden for years, it has lost its effectiveness, can they be taken together, w/ less dose of zolpiden, until I can wean off,? also take 2mg of lorazapam daily as needed.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Amitryptilline is a TCA class anti-depressant drug. The drug is a good anti-dperessant and it also improves sleep. In a lot of elderly persons this can be used for sleep because high dose benzodiazepine drugs are not advisable in them.

Now coming to your question-

- Yes, zolpidem can be taken with amitryptilline. If excessive sedation occurs then you can reduce the dose of zolpidem. But over all there is no contra-indication to use these drugs together.

- Also there is no contraindication to take Lorazepam with these drugs, but keep a watch on excessive sedation.

hope this helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.