Prescribed Zyflo for constrictive bronchiolitis. Using nebulizer with albeuterol and symbicort. Concerned about side effect?

Pulmonologist
Question
Yes please, my doctor prescribed Zyflo today for a condition I have called constrictive bronchiolitis. I am a 54 year old female. He did not order a liver function test prior. I am worried about the side effects as I have been on so many medications that make me feel so awful...Really frightened about taking this medication. I was suppose to be using a nebulizer with albeuterol, and symbicort with a spacer. I have not been real faithful so I'm wondering if I can hold off on Zyflo and see if I can build my lung function back without another drug with such horrible side effects...I also walk on a treadmill and need to be more constant with this activity as well. Constrictive Bronchiolitis diagnosed in 2010 was a result of several bouts of pneumonia and is believed to be idiopathic. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to have been diagnosed with constrictive bronchiolitis as a result of repeated bouts of pneumonia.

2. Inhalers and oral bronchoidlators need to be taken in this condition. Try to take all the inhaled medicines by the same route i.e inhaler with spacer. Nebulisation is generally the last resort when inhaler with spacer cannot be taken by the patient.

3. I would suggest you talk with your doctor and get Liver function test done as you are on xyflo.

4. Consider pneumococcal and flu vaccination.

5. Cause of repeated pneumonia needs to be investigated.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Prescribed Zyflo for constrictive bronchiolitis. Using nebulizer with albeuterol and symbicort. Concerned about side effect? 14 hours later
What are some causes of repeated pneumonia? Thank you for your initial answer.

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 13 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.

Some causes of recurrent pneumonias are : some immunodeficiency syndromes, aspiration, asthma (ABPA needs to be ruled out) , COPD, foreign body , some congenital deformity of the airways, some inhaled dust exposure, etc.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist