Pregnant. Tested hiv 1 and 2 negative, vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative. Possibility of hiv spreading through anal sex?

Good

Dermatologist
Question

Dear Doctor

Pls help on the foll:

1. is hiv test at 60th day good indication. hiv 1 and 2 negative,vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative for my wife who is pregnant

2. how exactly hiv can spread through ANAL sex from male to female partner in case male is hiv +( only penetration sex or semen should get in touch with anus,pls explain and help)

I hope HIV specialist answers my question.
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

I understand your concern and will advise you accordingly.

Negative HIV test on 60th day is good indicator that you are free of HIV.
A further HIV testing on 90th day will confirm negative results.

These are the main ways in which someone can become infected with HIV:

-Unprotected penetrative sex with someone who is infected.

-Injection or transfusion of contaminated blood or blood products, donations of semen (artificial insemination), skin grafts or organ transplants taken from someone who is infected.

-From a mother who is infected to her baby; this can occur during pregnancy, at birth and through breastfeeding.

-Sharing unsterilised injection equipment that has previously been used by someone who is infected.

Apart from this HIV does not spread by casual contact ,sharing of clothes plates ,casual skin to skin contact .
Even with hollow needle with HIV positive persons blood on it and getting prick into your skin ,chances of transmission is 0.3%.

Receptive anal intercourse (i.e. sex where a man’s penis is inserted into a person’s anus) carries a higher risk of HIV transmission than receptive vaginal intercourse. The lining of the anus is more delicate than the lining of the vagina, so is more likely to be damaged during sex. Any contact with blood during sex increases the risk of infection.

Chances of getting HIV by Anal intercourse is 18 times increased than normal vaginal sex.

Penetrative sex and also semen deposited can cause HIV.
As the anus is more tighter cavity chances of skin and mucosal trauma is increased
which further increases immune activation and concentration of immunity. As the cells of immunity are affected by HIV virus disease gets transmitted easily.

If a man takes the insertive position in anal sex with a man or woman who has HIV, then he too risks becoming infected.

Hope Ive answered your query,will be there for any follow up queries.

Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested hiv 1 and 2 negative, vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative. Possibility of hiv spreading through anal sex? 13 hours later
Dear Doctor

Thank you.

Pls help me with different ways in anal sex the virus can spread to female partner.

In case of penetrative sex( anal),i'm confused with your answer.(sorry)

If male is infected and does insertive anal sex,what are the ways the virus can spread to a female partner.

Is it only when semen/blood contacts the female or mere insertion can spread the virus.

Pls help

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,

Penetrative sex is essential for Spread of HIV in anal sex.

Transfer of semen is also essential.Virus can spread through semen deposited.
Presence of blood or semen is necessary for transmission.

However if female partner has ulcerations or erosion in the region , has constipation, or if male partner has erosions/ulcers over glans penis transmission can take place without visible blood or semen.

It means that in mere insertion usually does not cause spread of HIV . But in very rare occasion it can transmit HIV .

Chances of getting HIV is 18 times more in anal sex than vaginal sex.

Hope this helps.

Dr Sudarshan G
Dermatologist.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested hiv 1 and 2 negative, vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative. Possibility of hiv spreading through anal sex? 11 minutes later
Dear Doctor

Thank you. What about pre-seminal fluid( can that cause the spread)

What are the chances that test result changing at 90th day.( considering no major illness the person has,she is pregnant and taking normal iron and protein tablets)

To what extent are the test results at 60th day reliable( 0-100% scale).

Pls help...

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 22 hours later
Hi again,

Pre-seminal fluid is not usually able to spread the disease.

There are very less <1% chances of changing the results at 90th day.

Test results at 60th day are >99% reliable.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested hiv 1 and 2 negative, vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative. Possibility of hiv spreading through anal sex? 3 hours later
Dear Doctor

Im very Sorry,since you are dermatologist,little confused,as i had selected HIV specialization.

Secondly,people talk about 3months as the correct time to test-why?

Help...

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi again ,

HIV is also under dermatology.

3 months time is selected as near 100% cases can be detected after 3 months of exposure.

After 3 months of exposure nearly all infected patients become positive for serological test.

Hope this helps.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested hiv 1 and 2 negative, vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative. Possibility of hiv spreading through anal sex? 16 hours later
Thank you doctor

60days results- 99% correct- is it true?( you mentioned)

who takes more than 60days to detect the virus( because many websites talk about official window period as 3months)

help....

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 5 hours later
Hi again,

3 months test is taken standard as maximum window period is 3 months.At the end of three months almost all cases show positive test results.
Hence I advised you to re -test on 3 months to be 100% sure.

Hope it clears things.
Dr Sudarshan

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested hiv 1 and 2 negative, vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative. Possibility of hiv spreading through anal sex? 19 minutes later
Doctor,Thank you again.( little confused,partially convinced)(little anxious)

1. Your earlier response was:

( i believe there would be some data based on which you said that 60days - 99% cases would be correct or normally that happnes )
----

2. Since we tested at 60th day, can i assume that i can be almost 99% sure.

Also what is this 1% population- is it because they have chronice diseases or a normal person infected can also take more than 60days

Pls answer for both 1 and 2 statements,will be very grateful to you..

Have a great day

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Normally more than 99% people infected with HIV give positive results on 90 day of exposure.

1% of the infected people have longer window period and called slow progressor .
They have chronic low grade infection may become positive even upto 1 year after.
They have longer survival and low grade disease.

Hope Ive made myself clear.

DrSudarshan

Follow-up: Pregnant. Tested hiv 1 and 2 negative, vdrl nonreactive, HbSAg negative. Possibility of hiv spreading through anal sex? 17 hours later
thank you for your inputs...

my last question.

what are the chances of results changing from 60th day to 90th day( %)

In our case we have tested negative at 60th day...

pls help...

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Chances of changing the results is less than 1%.

So if you have tested negative at 60th day there is very less chances of changing the test results at 90th day.

Hope ive made myself clear.

If you are satisfied with my answer please indicate it by rating my answer at the end.

DrSudarshan