Pregnant. Taking Betnesol injections for bicornuate uterus. Ultrasound scan done. Safe to take injections?

My question to any gynecologist:
My doctor adviced Betnesol 12 mg (3x 4 mg) and repeat after 24 hours. My pregnancy is totally normal with no any pre-term labour or any pain, but I have bicornuate uterus according to my first usg scan. I have already taken 12 mg of Betnesol injection today and am strongly reluctant to repeat after 24 hours as I have come to know from Internet about the severe side affcts of this medicine. Please suggest can I stop it completely without repeating same 12 mg after 24 hours????
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 9 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

May be because of bicornuate uterus your doctor is suspecting of preterm labour. Betnesol in above mentioned dose is given for fetal lung maturation. There is no severe side effects in above mentioned dose. In my opinion you should follow your doctor's advice.

If in any event you end up in a pre-term labor and have not taken the Steroid injection(Betnesol), your baby will be in a bad condition. And may require ventilattory support, the steroid injections are given so that your baby's lungs mature faster so that he/she can breath well outside the mother's womb.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you any doubts.

Wishing you safe pregnancy and safe delivery.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Pregnant. Taking Betnesol injections for bicornuate uterus. Ultrasound scan done. Safe to take injections? 11 hours later
Thank you mam for your early response. As per the suggestions I have taken another 12 mg of Betnesol after 24 hours. I am now in 32+ weeks and my latest USG scan revealed the baby is of 31+ weeks.

My only concern is that I have read this medicine may hamper the learning and development aspects of the baby in long run if not immediately. And also Betnesol can be taken just 24 hrs before the pre-term labour (if any). Till now there is no sign of any pre-term labour and I am doing really well without having any pain etc.. Thus my ques is why unnecessarily should I take any risk of my child's future if there is no sign of pre-term delivery till now ??

Thanks & Regards,
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 5 hours later

It is a very common practice to give betnesol for fetal lung maturation. I do not know from where you have read about the above side effects. You can read about it from patient information leaflet UK, it is a reliable site from Royal college of Obstetricians and Gynecologist UK.

Best wishes