Pregnant. No baby, sac or placenta seen in ultrasound. Sudden bloated feeling. What is going on?

May 2013
Two days ago, at my ultrasound at 8 weeks, no baby showed. Sadly we have lost our baby. I don't believe I have released the baby, sac or placenta cause there's been no bleeding as yet but I'm experiencing quite a bit of cramping regularly, day and night - even waking me at night. I am scheduled for a D&C on the day after tomorrow. But my main concern right now is that, today I saw a sudden and dramatic bloating just in the matter of the past 4 to 5 hours. I suddenly look as big as a normal 5 months pregnancy. What could this be attributed to? It's quite disconcerting. Is this normal? Should I seek care? Thank you for your prompt response.
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later

according to your description the possible causes are,
-possibility of blighted ovum means the fetal pole may not developed with only gestational sac presenting,
-missed abortion means after development of fetal pole demise occurred and growth stopped, with products of conception remaining in the uterus.
in these cases we usually will not have any bleeding until you attempt to remove it,
the cramping may be because of the attempt of the uterus to expel the products out,
sometimes bloating feeling seen in pregnant woman which is normal but as you are having retained products with no fetus, rarely that bloating could be because of embolism leading to circulatory disturbances or increased hemorrhage collected in side the uterus leading to increased size of uterus,

though these are rare complications but because of their severity we should not neglect, so you better consult gynecologist and undergo checkup once, if needed you can go for D&C in this visit itself.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.