Pregnant. Having acne and applied retinoA, clindamycin regularly. Leaving scars. Will the medication have any impact on foetus?

Mar 2016

hi doctor,
this is XXXXXXX i m 29 yrs old, i have developing lot of acne from past 2 weeks, i have been applying retinoA and clindamycin regularly...
i m not taking any oral medicinies as i was trying for a kid
my last menstrual cycle was on july 20th 2013 and this month i havent got my periods, i m confirmed with pregency now.
i m scared that i was using retino A for my pimples, will it cause serious prob on my foetus. should i avoid using it on my face.
wat is the best solution to avoid acne during pregency and wat can i do to stop it. it is actually leaving scars all over
question 2- is it good to take grape juice during pregency???
Posted Wed, 18 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't Be Worried. Drink Grape Juice.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my response:

1) Don't be afraid but you should better avoid using RETINO-A cream at the earliest. It contains Tretinoin as ingredient - derived from vitamin A. This is a pregnancy Category-C drug by FDA and not recommended in pregnancy.

However, it does not cause any harmful effect on growing embryo or fetus before confirmation or realization of your pregnancy as fetal organogenesis takes place from 5th week onwards. Next thing, studies have not proved any adverse effect from topical application of RETINO-A. Its absorption in the body is very minimal and it is quite unlikely to cause any ill-health effect of growing fetus. Therefore, you should not be worried about it and stop using them.

Do one Trans Vaginal Ultrasound Scan (TVS) to get a detailed picture on fetal well being & proceed periodic check up to your gynecologist.

2) Some skin changes take place during the course of pregnancy like Chloasma, Acne, Stretch marks, increased pigmentation etc.

Follow The Basic Routine Skin Care to Solve Your Problem:

a) Cleansing regularly- by soap-free face wash (2-3 times) to maintain essential oils in pregnant skin and promote a healthy glow.
b) Moisturizing properly and use Sun Protection Cream - with at least SPF 15.
c) As your skin is oily (probably) and acne prone, then you should use products containing benzoyl peroxide, azelaic acid, glycolic acid, alpha hydroxy acid. These are used as topical cream at bed time and very much safe during pregnancy.

Kindly, consult with your dermatologist regarding this and take a proper prescription.

3) Yes, you can drink fresh grape juice (red or black grape) but not too much (1-2 glass max). It is a good source of multiple vitamins & minerals and helps to eliminate unpleasant symptoms of pregnancy.

Hope, I have answered your all queries. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and successful journey of pregnancy.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant. Having acne and applied retinoA, clindamycin regularly. Leaving scars. Will the medication have any impact on foetus? 43 hours later
thank u so much doctor... i m relieved now...

actually the gynecologist doctor has called me for a scan after 8 will be doing it.
there is lot of confusion on the pregnancy week i m in currently. is it counted from the first day of last menstrual cycle or two weeks after last menstrual cycle.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy Age Is Calculated From Day 1 of LMP.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your response.

Gestational age is counted from day 1 of last menstrual cycle and your are currently 6 weeks plus pregnant according to your last menstrual period date (20/7/13). Do ultrasound scan on scheduled date and check up to your gynecologist.

Hope, I have cleared your confusion. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen