Pregnant. Experiencing diarrhoea. Does it have any affect on baby? Worrisome

Hi, I am currently 8 weeks pregnant and have been experiencing diareaha nearly every day for the last couple of weeks (it is bright XXXXXXX in colour). I'm keeping to bland foods as much as possible and drinking water and liquids (1ltre/day) however, I'm concerned that all my nutrients are being flushed away and is not good for baby. I have an obsterician appt tomorrow though I am getting antsy about it. thanks, XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Please relax. Don't be nervous.

Diarrhoea is quite common in early pregnancy. Some mommies have constipation, some have diarrhoea, in early pregnancy.

However, it would be a good idea to get a stool routine examination done . If you have blood/mucus in stools, fever, signs of dehydration, it definitely requires treatment. In the absence of the same,don't worry. Diarrhoea is just part of early pregnancy.

Meanwhile, keep yourself well rehydrated. Have plenty of fluids including water, rice gruel with a pinch of salt etc.

Hope this helps.

If you have no further queries , kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan