Pregnancy test and blood test came negative after a missed period. Feel like vagina is leaking. Reason?

May 2013
My last period was on 29th sept and i usually have 30 days day cycle. I have missed my period but the pregnancy urine and blood test I did earlier this week came back both negative. I feel like my vagina is leaking and have had some brown spots on my undies although sometimes it can also be the colour of blood but it is very minimal although the clear leaking it quite significant. I occasionally have been getting pains in my lower abdominal area and the pain is sometimes on the left, sometimes on the right and right now it was just a sharp burst of pain the middle. My husband and I have been TTC for over a year now. Could I be pregnant despite negative blood and urine tests? If so when should I test again?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

The brown spotting you had could be implantation bleeding and could also be hypomenorrhea (scanty flow during periods).
As menstrual cycle can undergo changes due to many factors like weight changes, stress and strain, poly cystic ovary disease, thyroid disorders etc. there is possibility of hypomenorrhea.
Medicines can also influence the menstrual cycle. Lovan you are using can lead to weight changes and thereby can affect the menstrual flow.
Though your symptoms suggesting the pregnancy we cannot confirm just by symptoms. So as pregnancy tests sometimes cannot detect early pregnancy, you wait for two more days and then undergo blood test for pregnancy which can find out the possibility of pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Pregnancy test and blood test came negative after a missed period. Feel like vagina is leaking. Reason? 23 hours later

My weight has been the same as it always was and I am definately not under any stress. I have already been tested for poly cystic ovary disease a few months back as it is a condition that my sister suffers from but I thankfully do not.

The medication I am on I have been taking for many years and I have never had any issues before.

Earlier today I felt tired after only being awake for 5 hours and then went to bed although I didn't sleep as i ended up getting annoyed and then crying (which is totally not like me at all).

I really do feel like I am pregnant but I don't want to get my hopes up just in case. Since I got the negative result from the blood test I completed last Monday should I still do a home urine test in two days or should I wait two weeks or until my next period is due before testing again?

I want to know so I can start feeling excited about the news if I am or continue to TTC if not.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 hours later

Sometimes urine pregnancy test kits can give false negative results but usually blood test will give accurate result.
The exceptions are:
-In case of irregular periods there is a possibility of delay in the ovulation and if you performed the blood test within two weeks of conception that may have given false negative.
-Qualitative blood tests are less sensitive than quantitative tests.

So in case of regular periods, as according to your dates it is already 7 weeks over better to go for ultrasound once which can find out the pregnancy if present.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.