Pre-poning periods, femilon, brown discharge, dosage of pills

Hi, I wanted to prepone my periods to happen in the last week of April and so doctor asked me to start femilon from the third day of my period (9th APril) and continue it till 23rd April and stop, so that i can have withdrawal bleeding during last week of APril. I started my tablet on 9th April, which was a saturday, so I had to skip the first 5 tablets on the strip, whcih was Mon-Friday and had to take the saturday pill. i have taken the pill for 7 days and today i am having brown discharge. I want to know the cause and also if this pill will really help me prepone my periods. Also want to know if i have started the pills correctly, i.e., from the saturday pill.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 5 hours later

FEMILON is a contraceptive pill. This is used to prevent ovulation as well as regular period (with drawl bleeding). The pills are some times used to postpone your current period. But no medicine is proved effective to pre pone your current cycles, we only give medicines for postponement of the cycles.

The brown discharge is a side effect of taking the hormones as they cause some changes of in the vaginal secretions as well as changes in hormones related to menstruation.

I would suggest you confirm it with your gynecologist if she prescribed the pills for regularizing the cycles or for preponing the period. She will be able to guide you on the dates for the future cycles.

Hope I answered your query, I would be available for follow ups as well.