Ask a Dentist   »  

Pain in upper jaw near molar. Had X-ray done. Taking amoxicillin. What could this be?

I am experiencing an on and off pain in my upper jaw and back molars on the right side of my mouth. I have a cold and It feels like a sinus pain, not sure if its a real tooth ache. I can chew ok with no discomfort, and the teeth don't hurt when pressed. I often get dull aches on that side which Ive had for a couple of years now and my dentist can't find anything wrong. I had an xray 18 months ago. Could it be bruxisum or grinding? or clenching? I do suffer bad stress and anxiety. I have a wisdom tooth on that side which is fully errupted, and the dentist hasn't said anything about that either. Im on painkillers and amoxicillin at the moment, can't feel any relief yet, had my 4th tablet today. Have you any idea what might be going on? Many thanks XXXXXX
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in TMJ
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 19 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query.

The pain on your right upper jaw and molars can be due to periodontitis causing-

- Periodontal pocket formation.
- Loss of alveolar bone surrounding the teeth.
- Destruction of periodontal ligament surrounding the teeth.
- Root resorption.

The infection can be diagnosed with minute clinical probing in between the teeth .
Also x-ray can be repeated as you had taken previous one 18 months back.
I would suggest you to go for a second opinion and investigations regarding this.

Meanwhile, use soft-interdental toothbrush to clean your teeth in back-forth and up-down motion.
Avoid vigorous brushing techniques.
Rinse your mouth after every meals.
Use chlorhexidine mouth rinse to prevent plaque accumulation.

As per dentist's advice, get scaling and root planning done.

If there is bone loss, splinting and bone grafting has to be done.
If you have the habit of grinding teeth at night, please use night guards to prevent this.
Get your decayed teeth filled if any.
Avoid applying heavy forces on your jaws and please do not open mouth too widely.
Based on detailed clinical examination, treatment can be planned.

Hope this suffices.
Please feel free to ask further concerns.