Pain in the opening of the anal hole while passing stool, no blood in stool, small soft lumps. What can it be?

General Surgeon
Question
it is paining in the opening of the anal hole when going to poop,
there is no blood in the stools,
i touched myself there is a little lump,only one,it is very soft and it is small as a size of two small ants,
this problem is from 2 days i drank cocunut water to cool my body, but no use,
i am so tensed that i might have piles,
please help me,
Thank You.
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

The most probable reason of your symptoms is anal fissure. This condition is caused by a hard stool, constipation what leads to a small wound of rectum. This wound gives lots of pain when passing the stool.
The lump you have noticed is very common with a fissure and is called sentinel pile.
Hemorrhoids are also possible, however does not give so much pain when passing the stool.
I suggest you to try such treatment:
- avoid constipation, increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake
- use stool softeners if necessary
- do not push hard on stool
- wash your rectum after every stool
- have sitz baths with Quercus Cortex twice a day
- use Nitroglycerine Gel and Xylocaine Gel (should be prescribed by your doctor)

Such treated fissure should go away in a week or so. If not, rectal examination should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Pain in the opening of the anal hole while passing stool, no blood in stool, small soft lumps. What can it be? 1 hour later
thank you,
1)I have seen images of sentinal pile it is exactly as i have,
does sentinal pile pain, because mine pains slightly even when sitting in a chair after stool, is this common,
2) please explain this point 'do not push hard on stool'
3) what do you mean by 'have sitz baths with Quercus Cortex twice a day'
4) can you recommend me any tablets or ointments for immediate relaxation,
Thank you,

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later
1. It is not the pile what gives you the pain, but the wound which is above it.
2. Do not push hard on stool - when you have a bowel movement, and you will push your abdomen to get the stool out, you make the wound worse. Generally just allow intestines to clear them self without pushing. So no using abdominal muscles when passing the stool
3.Sitz baths are just a kind of bath were you put the water into a bowl and sit on it so the anus will be under the surface of the water. It is good to ass Quercus Cortex to such water. If it is impossible to get it, Potassium permanganate can be also effective
4. I already have, Nitroglycerine Gel and Xylocaine Gel

Hope this will help.
Regards.