Pain in stomach, pain in back, constipation. Advise

My wife is a 47 year old female, she has experienced stomach pains or stomach ache for 2 days. Additionally she has pain in the middle of her back simultaneous to the stomach pain. Additionally she is constipated and feels as if she needs to go to the bathroom but cannot. Even though she has had bowel movements today the pain persists. Should I take her to an emergency room? I am not looking for an answer in 24 hours I am looking for an answer quickly
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later

The symptoms that your wife is having are suggestive of constipation which is causing the abdominal pain. For constipation, some of the methods of treatment are:

1)      First of all increase the fiber amount in your diet. The best natural sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber, especially from fruits and vegetables and eat slowly and chew you food well. You may even add bulk forming agents like salads, bananas etc or psyllium husk to your diet.

2)     Exercise regularly such as the regular walking and knee-to-chest position which activates bowel movement.

3)     Drink plenty of fluids and water everyday.

4)     Decrease intake of alcohol, caffeine, tea and cola drinks

5)     Go to the toilet at the same time every day which helps in regularizing the bowel.

6)     Do not take any over the counter laxatives like Senna which can worsen the condition.

7)     If the symptoms persist then she may need osmotic laxatives like polyethylene glycol PEG or miralax after your doctor’s prescription.

If the symptoms persist then other causes need to be ruled out which include intestinal obstruction and kidney causes for which she needs investigations like barium enema upper GI with small bowel series, ultrasound or CT scan abdomen, thyroid profile, motility and imaging studies and colonoscopy. For these you need to consult a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.