Pain in leg, back, groin, hip, on movical. Suggestion?

I am suffering with pain in my left leg and lower back.. When I am walking the pain becomes extreme in my left leg around the hip and groin area and sometimes brings me to a halt since it is hard to put my left leg forward. I am not certain if it is a trapped nerve or trapped wind, however I am not as regular in stoels as I have been in the past..This pain in my leg came on slowly only now and again but now is more permanant. I have had syptomes of this nature before and was given Movical, I have also been taking Movical 3 x 13.8g sachets daily but with no relief, I do not think I am allergic to anything. Any advice please?

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later

The pain in one leg or hip region more prominent on walking can be due to a degenerative disc disease or due to ankylosing spondylosis of your spine.

The second thing is a muscular problem of the hip flexor muscles.

It needs a physical examination to figure out the right one. The exact diagnosis can be made only after doing an MRI of spine to see the changes.

Taking movical will help in constipation. For diagnosis and treatment you need to visit an orthopaedician.

Meanwhile you can follow these measures:

- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.

- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.

- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.

- Avoid lifting heavy objects.

- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.

- avoid exercises in times of pain.

- improvise your posture while sitting.

I would also suggest you to get an ultrasound scan of the abdomen done to rule out any kidney stones if present.

Hope I have solved your query. If not, I will be available for further follow up.

Wish you good health.

Advocate to daily exercises for a healthy spine.

Thank you.