Pain around the ears. Could this be migraine or TMJ?
User rating for this question
I have had a bizarre symptom for the last 5 years. Increasingly it has gotten worse. Initially, if I bent over, I would hear a swoosh then a faint click and then my right ear felt like someone was slicing it off with a hot knife. What is happening... migraine, tmj? If I would lay down with a heating pad, it was resolve quickly. In the last two weeks, the pain has become nearly unbearable. Hospitalized with IV steroids and IV Valproic acid. Had great response. Discharged on Friday night symptom free. On Sunday morning, the pain returned. I can't wear my glasses because the ear piece rests on my right ear. Help! What kind of a specialist should I go to?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 3 hours later
Brief Answer: To an Oral Surgeon. Detailed Answer: Hello There, Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum, TMJ disfunction can cause pain around the ears, clicking and popping sound while closing and opening of mouth, tenderness in the jaw and can lead to difficulty in mouth opening and pain on chewing. For treatment of TMJ disfunction you need to consult to an Oral Surgeon for examination and evaluation also an OPG radiograph is required. Its treatment includes inflammatory medications, heat therapy, rest and in some cases bite splint therapy can be given. Also get an evaluation done for any neurological problems like Trigemminal neuralgia with the Oral Surgeon. Hope you find the above information as helpful! If you are having any other doubts i will be happy to answer. Take care! Dr Qazi Ammara.
People also viewed
- Bi polar oxy elite pro
- Migraines in the ears
- Migraines and severe ear pain
- Piercing pain in ear migraine
- Cause and treatment for irritable bowel syndrome
- How to lighten a dark scar on nose
- What causes eye problems after a vertigo attack
- Pain around the ears could this be migraine or tmj
- What causes eye irritation with redness and dryness
- My son has a bycuspis valve is it safe to take ginko biloba
- Ginkgo biloba and bradycardia
- How long does ginkgo biloba last in the body
- Ginkgo biloba how long does it stay in body
- What causes loose motions
- Migraine with no pain