On vandomycin. Diarrhea has stopped. not had bowel movement. Still om medications. Safe?

My husband has c diff from taking clindomycin. He is on vandomycin and his diarrhea has stopped after taking it for three days. But he has not had a bowel movement in two days and is still on the Meds for the next 7 days. What happens if he doesn't have a BM in another day or two? Thanks.
Posted Thu, 10 Oct 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....It is quite common to get medicine induced constipation specially in an elderly.
Detailed answer...
It is quite common to develop medicine induced constipation and specially in adults because of side effct of medicine,reduced physical activity,reduced appetite and reduced water intake.
Management lies in increasing the intake of water and giving more of fruits and vegetables in diet.You may give 15 gms go psyllium husk to relieve the constipation.
Ask him to put a heating pad or hot water bottle on his stomach for 20-25 minutes.
If these measures fail,then non digestible sugar like lactulose can be given.
A warm water enema can also be given,if stool becomes hard and BM doesn't take place with oral laxative.
Just talk to the treating doctor and apprise him of the constipation suffered by your husband.
There is nothing to worry but make sure that your husband does have BM,otherwise sometimes stool becomes rock hard and in that situation manual removal of stool becomes the necessity.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck