On mirena. Have PCOS, slight spotting, sore and sensitive nipple. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2013
Hey, I've been on Mirena for 2+ years now and I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome so the chances of getting pregnant are slim to none, if not less chance. But for the last week and a half my nipples have been very sensitive and sore and I've been I wouldn't even call it spotting its so light just a bit of off colored discharge the last couple days. Should I be concerned about this??
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Thank you for your query.

Firstly, soreness of nipples and scanty or next to nil bleeding are common while on Mirena.
PCOS itself can cause a missed or delayed or scanty period.
In addition, stress, anxiety, frequent travelling, weight gain, thyroid disorders also could be culprits.

As you said, chances of pregnancy are next to nil, but not nil.
A hone pregnancy test would definitely reassure you provided your periods were reasonably regular.

If not, I would advise a consultation with a Gynecologist to know the reason for this occurrence.

Feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: On mirena. Have PCOS, slight spotting, sore and sensitive nipple. Should I be concerned? 4 hours later
Thanks for your reply I was thinking it was normal. The only thing with me is that before I took mirena I didn't get my period for like a year and that's how they found out that I had PCOS and since I have had Mirena minus the first couple months of spotting I haven't had a period at all that's why the sudden soreness of nipples kind of had me concerned. I know I've had that hAppen before but not last as long. I will get a home pregnancy test to be safe and I do have a scheduled gynocologist appointment next month, should I wait that long to get in?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 17 minutes later
It would be better if it could be sooner, since greats soreness itself has a few rare differentials.