On medication for epilepsy. Suddenly got high blood pressure. What is causing this?

my wife always had very low blood pressure but recently she is suffering from High blood pressure, He reading currently are 170 / 107. She suffers from epilepsy , which she on medication for since Dec 4th 2012.
She suffered an epileptic fit when we were on holidays in gran canaria 3 wks. Her blood when pressured was 170/100 when She was admitted to the hospital in Spain.
She also has crohn s and has colestomy bag since 2007.
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 5 hours later

Thanks for your query

I understand your concern

Let me tell you that if two or three readings of such high blood pressure have been documented in this age group, it is advisable to treat it. High blood pressure can lead to othet health problems. Regarding seizure, she has to continue her medications as advised at least for three years and then review her with a local neurologist.

Hope this clarifies
Please get back to me if you have any specific/other query in this regard
I will be happy to help you

Best wishes
Follow-up: On medication for epilepsy. Suddenly got high blood pressure. What is causing this? 5 hours later
I omitted to mention that She had a very severe headache when was BP.
She took solpedine and BP dropped 155/ 88 very she went sleep.

Just checked her now in bed 95/55 which is normally low for Her.
On 16th Mar she went to GP Her BP , I think 165/100.
She was put 24 hr monitor on 22nd and the GP reviewed the reading on 23rd, and was happy that Her , BP was not a problem and to stop taking medicine He put Her on 16th, .Which she did.
Re Epilepsy , she continues to take Her medicine , 300 mg epilip chrona in morning, 200 mg afternoon, 300mg at night. Could the epilepsy medicine be reason for high BP.?

Have you any other view ? Are there any other obvious reason for crazy BP readings?
should read very severe headache when BP was 170/100
I have just checked her BP now, 8.45 PM, again 168/ 102, she took 2 solpadeine , Her headache at 6 pm.
12.20 am BP 154/ 86

She still has mild headache.
3.50 am BP 129/101 , PULSE RATE 140 .
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 38 hours later

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you.

No, I do not consider that the blood pressure fluctuation is secondary to any medication she is on. The blood pressure may be aggravated by a epileptic episode but not secondary to one.

Yes, headache she has is a symptom due to increased blood pressure. High blood pressure causes dilatation of blood vessels in the head and cause the headache. Controlling the blood pressure will surely solve the problem of headache.

Based on the readings provided, I believe she may have to be put on antihypertensive medication on daily basis. If not controlled, such high readings can lead to stoke sometimes.

Solpadeine is a pain killer and may not provide much benefit unless the blood pressure is controlled.

Hope, I answered your query.

Wish you good health.