Does Hepatitis B vaccine cause diarrhea, vomiting, ringing in ears and itching in hand and feet and what is the treatment?

I have three sets of symptoms which may and may not be related to each other. 1) Since last spring I have felt a slight light-headedness after eating. It happens every day or two and is only a few seconds long. 2) (and most important) I have had seven episodes since early October where my hands and feet itch, then I have diarrhea. Two of these episodes involved vomiting as well, and during one episode I fainted three times, for a few seconds each time, my skin flushed, and I was totally exhausted when the vomiting/diarrhea was done. 3) Since mid-October I have had a slight headache, slight feeling of faintness, and a ringing in my ears. This is obvious some days and not others. My medications are as follows: 1. Arimidex for breast cancer—have been taking for three years. 2. Supplements (Fiberlax, Fish Oil, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Calcium)—have been taking for several years, 3. Bisphosphonates for osteoporosis—having been taking this since mid-October, so I tended to connect symptoms #3 with this. I have stopped taking the bisphosphonate for the present. 4. I have had some vaccinations this fall in preparation for a trip to India. Hepatitis A (#2), 9/23/13. Hepatitis B (#1), 9/23/13; Hepatitis B (#2), 10/28/13; MMR 10/28/13; Typhoid 12/5/13. Diagnosis attempts are as follows: Blood test for Celiac Sprue came back negative. Thyroid tests were low normal, and a thyroid ultrasound came back negative. Other blood tests were normal. Careful listing of food eaten before the “episodes” yielded no obvious triggers. When working on these problems with my physician’s assistant, I forgot to tell her about the vaccinations. This morning I looked up possible side effects to the Hepatitis B vaccine, and they looked very familiar—faintness, diarrhea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, hand and feet itching. I’m wondering if all of symptoms 2 & 3 could be related to the Hep B vaccine and not the bisphosphonates. If in fact I’m having an extended reaction to the vaccine, how can it be treated? Will the symptoms go away by themselves? Is it possible to have a reaction that extends over a month or so, with occasional more severe episodes like I have had? What are your thoughts?
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Meher Lakshmi Konatam 5 hours later
Brief Answer: not related to vaccines Detailed Answer: I dont think your symptoms are related to vaccines. Vaccination reactions occur immediately and they do not last long. Bisphosphonates also do not cause symptoms. you need not stop them, they can be continued. If in doubt, get bone densitometry done. If bone mineral density is normal, then you can stop bisphosphonates. Coming to your symptoms, especially flushing, lightheadedness, diarrhoea, etc are symptoms of certain disorders. You have not mentioned about your ovarian status. people with both ovaries removed have postmenopausal symptoms so what similar to this. But diarrhoea is unsual. one more important disorder coming to my mind is carcinoid syndrome. it is not common but I feel you need to get investigated. You can ask your doctor and get tests done for it. It can be treated effectively if picked up early. Hence better to get investigated. All the best