What is the cause for tender glands in my neck and slight headache?

Hi I'm a 41 yr Old male.. My symptoms started nearly 2 weeks ago. I've noticed fatigue, tender glands in my neck/under my jaw that's also painful. I do not have a throat infection. I feel like my head is in a vice (pressure) slight headache & I have trouble focusing with a 'spaced out feeling'. Also sometimes i feel a bit of nausea. I have been to my gp & do not have a throat infection.. I also had full blood tests & results came back perfect. Gp has prescribed me a double course of antibiotics incase of some sort of infection but so far I have noticed no difference & I'm already on 2nd course. Any suggestions of what u think may help?
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Infection of thyroid or salivary glands infection Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Thanks for your query. From the information provided, the possibilities are:- * Acute inflammation and infection of thyroid gland (called Acute/Subacute Thyroiditis). Since all routine blood tests are normal, it is more likely to be Sub-acute Thyroiditis. Ultrasound of the thyroid, as well as, salivary glands under the jaw and tongue, would be very helpful in diagnosis. There may be changes in the production rate of thyroid hormone. Hence, Thyroid Profile should be done (if not already done). A course of antibiotics along with anti-inflammatory pain-killers would suffice to cure the condition. A temporary treatment of underactive/overactive thyroid gland may required, depending on Thyroid hormone levels. * Acute inflammation and infection (most commonly due to Staph) of salivary glands, located under the jaw bone and the tongue (called Sialadenitis). An aggressive course of an effective antibiotic, preferably, Clindamycin- which is effective against most of the bacteria responsible for this infection would be required, along with anti-inflammatory drugs. * Mumps (viral) infection of the salivary glands is another possibility, but is slightly uncommon. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will arrive at a certain diagnosis and prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal