On lisinopril for BP. Feeling dizzy while laying on my back. Any guidance?

Nov 2013

I am 70 years old in good shape. This morning when I first awoke I stretched my upper bank usual when still lying down and I got dizzy, objects in the room moved circular.
When I get up it stopped right away. Every time I lay on my back and so stretch the dizziness begins again and gets gradually worse but stops each time I arise. No other balance or dizziness problems when standing or other symptoms. When I stretch standing it does not happen.
Am on Lisinopril to control BP and only OTC recently was Melotonin 10mg last couple nights. Any guidance?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, the most likely diagnosis is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV).

In this condition, dizziness comes in episodes lasting for a few seconds to a minute, aggravated by a change of head or neck posture. This is a benign condition and it improves on its own over a few days.

For relief of symptoms, you can take betahistine tablets thrice daily.

There could be two other possibilities- cervical spondylitis and lack of blood flow to back of brain. However, your symptoms do not suggest these conditions.

As of now, there is no need to worry. If you do not improve, you can consult your doctor later on.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: On lisinopril for BP. Feeling dizzy while laying on my back. Any guidance? 47 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX
I have had BPPV before on two occasions and resolved with Epley exercises. This today is unlike BPPV

It has now resolved itself. What triggered it was while lying on my back I strongly stretched the upper back and neck muscles, but it was not active unless I stretched while on my back and as I said now doing so no longer producers those symptoms. Unlike BPPV, certain head positions and movements do not seem to produce it, this time. There is no dizziness symptom other than what I described.

However, about 2000 I did have a prolonged episode of something like cervical spondylitis which resolved with various therapies.

Question, with my very tight upper back and neck muscles could something like a tight SCM muscle be causing this? At any rate for now stretching no longer produces this. Thank you for any further guidance you can offer XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

I am glad to note that your symptoms have now totally resolved.

It is possible that stiffness of muscles in the neck region had caused your symptoms. These muscles may include SCM, trapezius, etc.

Neck extension exercises may be helpful in preventing its recurrence.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Follow-up: On lisinopril for BP. Feeling dizzy while laying on my back. Any guidance? 2 hours later
Thank you very much for your helpful replies.

I guess I am allowed one last question and since you have a neurology practice-could I ask that with your mention of cervical spondylitis and my history of an episode of such about 10 years ago, question- could the dizziness caused by back/neck stretching upon waking be possibly related to that disorder or a related nerve impingment problem or any other issues that come to mind ? Thanks again XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Cervical spondylitis can cause dizziness. However, typically those patients have neck pain, restricted neck movements, stiff neck, pain & tingling in arms, etc. So, a person with above symptoms, if he develops dizziness, then, we can attribute it to cervical spondylitis. In your case, it does not seem so, as you do not have symptoms of cervical spondylitis at this moment.

I hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)