On lactogen, no excreta, green stool, pain. Reason?

My son is 2.5 months old, he is on lactogen.. however for the past 3 days he has not passed his stools.. Prior to three days his stools were XXXXXXX in colour.. Could you please help me.. what should I give my son to pass regular stools as he cries of pain.. also any reason for the XXXXXXX stools.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later

In a child of 2.5 months, if he passes soft stool after straining then it is not constipation. Infants do need to strain more to pass stool as their abdominal muscles are weak. If actually the child is constipated then it is due to switch over of the diet from breast milk to lactogen.

You will have to try other diets like cow's milk or NAN-1 formula milk for him. Feed him with frequent volumes of water through spoon. Still if the symptoms persist then his pediatrician can prescribe some medicines after ruling out the organic causes involved.

Some formula-fed babies will excrete XXXXXXX stools from the iron in the formula they are taking. As long as your baby is happy and not having any problems with constipation, there is nothing to worry about.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: On lactogen, no excreta, green stool, pain. Reason? 24 hours later
Thanks for your help.. Yes as you say he is noty constipated.. His stools are soft.. but the duration of days is long.. Once in 4 days like that... He also does not strain to move out his tools. He is fine only that he has a long gap... Is this normal.. If yes for how many days can he be without passing stools or is there any way I cant get him to pass daily...

My baby was on Nan pro I however he had very hard stools, like small hard balls thats when the doctor asked us to change to Lactogen.. With regards to water how frequentky can I feed him water & how much is the quanity...

His stool is not completely XXXXXXX its lot brown little XXXXXXX . Is that normal too..

Thanks once again for your help
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

If the consistency of stool is soft and he does not strain in passing it then even if he moves his bowels twice a week , it is normal. There is no need to worry or to feed him any water.
The color of the stool is also normal. Mild greenish tinge is nothing to worry as it is a normal variation.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.