On invega sustenna injection for schizophrenia. When will my periods return after stopping the pill?

Hi, I'm on invega sustenna injection for schizophrenia and want to know how long it will take to get my period back if I stop the injection. Also, I have been on unprescribed chlomid tablets and I have unprescribed cabergoline tablets but I haven't taken them yet. I have galactorrhea-amenorrea from the injection. My prolactin levels are high and I haven't had a period since before I was pregnant with my son who is now 16 months old.
Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2013 in Schizophrenia
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 27 minutes later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with the psychotropic drug induced menstrual irregularity. Invega is a depot antipsychotic that can alter prolactin levels to result in galactorrhoea and amenorrhoea. It would take atleast 8 weeks to the drug to be washed off and your menstrual cycles to regulate after stopping the drug. You can discuss with your psychiatrist to shift to aripiprazole or quetiapine that are drugs that do not alter the hormonal profile. I would not recommend continuing cabergoline or clomiphene citrate by yourself without a physician s opinion
Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar