On antibiotics for tonsillitis. Noticed blood in stool. What could be causing this?

General Surgeon
Question
Dear Sir/Madam,

First let me thank you, in advance, for replying to my question, it is much appreciated.
I am 21 years old, non-smoker and I drink alcohol maybe ever 3-4 weeks and in very small quantities.
The past month I’ve been experiencing blood in my stool after a bowl movement. It started after my second antibiotics treatment for tonsillitis (I am having troubles with my tonsils and I am going to see my doctor next week for this, he is thinking about sending me to an ENT specialist for a tonsillectomy). Thus, a month ago I’ve experienced painful diarrhea with the antibiotics, there was blood on the toilet paper after whipping my anus. Now, a few weeks later, I still have blood in my stool but this time it is only a small string of blood and my bowl movement is not painful. I have tried examining my own anus, when I try to look on the inside I see, what looks like irritated skin (maybe an XXXXXXX hemorrhoid?) I can provide a picture if it makes things easier, I’m really worried about this all.

Thanks a lot, and kind regards,

XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yes, this is the hemorrhoid for sure. The most common source of fresh, bright red blood in stool are hemorrhoids. And so is in your case. However, always when the blood in stool appears, colonoscopy should be performed to rule out all other bad things like inflammatory intestines diseases or rectal polyps.
So it is advisable for you to have such test performed as well.
Your hemorrhoids looks like can be treated without the surgery for now. To get rid of the hemorrhoids you should:
- have hot baths with Quercus Cortex
- avoid constipations (avoid fatty foods and soft drinks, have more fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water)
- use some prescription free suppositories for hemorrhoids

If such treatment wont bring any relief, you may contact a surgeon as it might need surgery in the future.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: On antibiotics for tonsillitis. Noticed blood in stool. What could be causing this? 5 minutes later
Dear Dr. Stanko,

Thank you for your quick reply, and easing my mind.

You are talking about bright red blood, however, In a few cases Ive had what looks like somewhat darker blood (like 2 strings of darker blood).

I was wondering if you took a look at the two photos provided as well, the first one is a photo of my anus, and the second one is a sample of my stool with a tiny speck of blood on it.

Thanks again,

XXXXXXX

Hello!

Yes, I have watched both pictures. Your blood in stool looks like from hemorrhoids. But as I have said before, you need to have colonoscopy to make sure you dont have anything else. Many diseases can coexist and you never know if this is only hemorrhoid.
So again, picture of the anus clearly shows the hemorrhoid. Picture of the stool clearly shows fresh blood in it. It is on the surface of it (not mixed), so the most probable source is this hemorrhoid.

Regards.