Numbness and tingling in the legs, light headed. Stopped smoking. Reason and advsie?

ENT Specialist
my legs feel numb and tingle when i sit for a short period of time and i feel light headed as well. I am male 35yo 205lbs 5'10" stoped smoking about 3 weeks ago
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 4 hours later

Thanks for writing.

Well, numbness and tingling in the legs makes it difficult to sit, to walk or engage in simple everyday activities. Talking about numbness and tingling, I would like to tell you that numbness and tingling are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in body, mainly in hands and legs.

There can be many different causes of numbness and tingling in the legs, but most commonly these both are common symptoms of sciatica which simply means irritation of the sciatic nerve. The other common causes of numbness and tingling in legs include:
- Sitting or standing in the same position for a quite long time
- Injuring a nerve (a low back injury can cause numbness or tingling to the of your leg)
- Pressure on peripheral nerves from enlarged blood vessels, tumours, scar tissue or infection
- Reduced blood circulation
- Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body
- Deficiency of vitamins

A thorough clinical examination can narrow down the possibilities. As the symptoms can be concerning so I encourage you to visit your primary healthcare provider for evaluation.

Hope this answer your query. I am available here for future follow ups if any.