Noticed swollen cheek. Hurts to touch. Could it be parotitis?

Critical Care Specialist
I have an inflammation on my right cheek, i believe its called (swollen perotid glands) I'm not allergic to anything and i didn't get hurt or anything, infact, the inflammation happened over night. this morning when i woke up, the inflammation got a bit worse. i think i have "parotitis" my cheek is swollen. i tried taking Advil (nsaid) 200mg last night i took one dose, and this morning i took another. i feel the same but it has become very uncomfortable. i doesnt hurt unless i touch the area hard. I believe i need to take an anti-biotic for this but im not sure. Please help me. I have no medical insurance and i am currently unemployed and thats why i havent gone to a drs office.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 10 hours later

Thanks for your question.

You are having swollen cheeks and you think it is parotitis (inflammation of parotid gland).

The treatment of parotitis depends upon cause.

There are many causes of parotitis; here I will summarize most common of them.

Acute bacterial parotitis - Most often caused by bacterial infection of staphylococcus aureus.

Acute viral parotitis (mumps).incidence has decreased very much.

HIV parotitis - Though associated with generalized lymphoadenopathy, localized inflammation of parotid gland is less common.

Parotitis produced by extrapulmonary tuberculosis. Patients have enlarged, non-tender but moderately painful glands.

Sjogren’s syndrome - Chronic inflammation of salivary gland, may also be part autoimmune disease called as Sjogren’s syndrome.

Mikulicz disease. Antiquated name for any enlargement of parotoid gland that is not due to identifiable disease.

Blockage of main parotid duct, or one of its branch, is often a primary cause of acute parotitis, with further inflammation secondary to bacterial superinfection.

Diseases of uncertain etiology e.g. chronic nonspecific parotitis. Term given to parotitis when no specific etiology of parotitis is found.

Sialadenosis(sialosis)in this disorder, both parotid gland may be diffusely enlarged with moderate symptom in patient aged between 20 to 60 years

Drugs; Rarely some drugs like phenyl butazone, phenothiazines cause parotitis

Treatment of parotitis depends upon cause.

Therefore, you have to establish the cause of parotitis before taking any medicine.

Most episode of parotitis is treated symptomatically;

Local heat, gentle massage from posterior to anterior and hydration provides variable symptomatic relief.

Those patients who do not respond to symptomatic treatment, course of antibiotic and steroids is recommended to them.

Finally, recurrent non-resolving parotitis is treated surgically.

Hope I answered your question.

You are welcome to ask any more questions, I am readily available for answer.

Get well soon.