Noticed swelling on parotid gland. How to diagnose my symptoms?

I believe it's my parotid gland that's swollen. It's that area anyway. I just don't know why. I was just sitting here watching TV and it started swelling up for no apparent reason. I don't know what to make of it. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

This condition is one which does require evaluation by a doctor. Let me explain this further for your satisfaction.

Parotid gland (which is a salivary gland) can have sudden onset enlargement. The causes for this can be:
-Allergic reactions
-Infections (mostly of bacterial origin)
-Injury (which is ruled out in your case, due to no mention)
-Besnier-Boeck-Schaumann disease (disease that can affect any organ, causing inflammation)
-Patients having HIV/AIDS
-Kidney failure (in patients diagnosed with kidney disorders, also ruled out in your case)
-Cancer (this will not have a sudden onset)

In my opinion, the most likely cause would be an allergic reaction or an infection. In most cases these conditions do not require treatment, as the inflammation subsides itself. Only in cases where the infection has caused accumulation of pus, antibiotic therapy might be required.

Do visit your doctor if you experience symptoms like pain and fever. You could wait for 2-3 days to see if the inflammation subsides or visit a doctor for an elaborate examination.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.