Noticed swelling and bruise on knee. What could be causing this?

General Surgeon
I was kneeling down on a concrete floor when I could sense a crunching effect on my right knee. The next morning I woke up witha swollen knee. Pain was localised to the front and mostly the outsideside of the knee. When I walked on that leg no pain was noticeable only stiffness. A few days later the swelling went down about half way but appearing what looks like bruising on the right side of the knee and some pain was felt down the outside,right side of the leg. Today five days into the injury I woke up with the right outside side of my foot and ankle swollen with what looks likes bruising.Possibley blood? What do you think. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Knee is a very specific joint where the fluid can accumulate. According to your trauma, it is possible that inside the knee you have blood or other fluid due to compression. Moreover, fracture is also possible. That is why you should visit a doctor for knee X-ray. Also orthopedist should take a look on it and if the fluid is present, puncture might be necessary. Otherwise, such fluid triggers inflammation what can result with knee immobilization.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.