Noticed discharge after hysterectomy. Noticed blood after urination and after sex. What to do?

Hi, I've had to wear panty liners daily since my hysterectomy two years ago. I at first thought it to be normal to have the secretions as a result of healing. however, I had to continue wearing the liners because it would seem that the secretions would get heavier certain times of the month, almost like i'm going through my menstral cycle just not nearly as heavy and with no blood involved. Recently (approx the last couple of months) I've noticed that I would see blood in the toilet after I urinated or on my underwear after sex with my husband. I would even see blood the next day on the liner I wear. The blood I see isn't heavy like a menstral cycle, but it is red and enough to give me concern. I've even felt what seems like I'm urinating myself occur, and the secretion will sometimes have blood mixed in and sometimes no blood is present. Is it possible that a stitch or something has been ripped open as a result of sex or something else like working out? I don't have to wear a tampon (obviously) so nothing else has had to be inserted inside my vagina. I haven't gone to my doctor because I had to temporarily let my health insurance go about 9 months ago.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 40 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

There are important data missing in your case.
- The type of hysterectomy you had. Was the cervix removed or not, the same for the ovaries.
- The indication for which the hysterectomy was done.
- The result of the pathological examination of the removed sample.

Regarding your query, it is completely unaccepted to have excessive discharge or bloody discharge or contact bleeding (bleeding after sexual intercourse) after having a hysterectomy.

You should visit your doctor urgently to examine you and exclude serious conditions, most important of which is malignancy.

This answer was in the light of the available data, and if you answer my questions I could give you more information.

I am interested to know the result of your doctor visit, and the answers to my questions.

If you have any other queries, I would be glad to help.

Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Noticed discharge after hysterectomy. Noticed blood after urination and after sex. What to do? 7 hours later
Hello Dr. Bahaa,

To answer your questions above:
* the uterus, cervix and right ovary was removed
* the pathology report showed no malignancy
* the indication for the hysterectomy was that there were two-three large fibroids that developed in my uterus and several smaller ones that were developing, also there was one very large fibroid on my right ovary that subsequently damaged it. I was very anemic too.

Although my age is relatively young and I had not had any children of my own, the hysterectomy was done because trying to salvage my uterus would have been futile according to my doctor. He said that if they removed the fibroids, the integrity of my uterus would be severely compromised and could lead to miscarriage if I did get pregnant. To me, miscarriage would be a worse event than having the surgery so I went ahead and agreed to the surgery.

I will go to my doctor to see what is going on. I had a feeling that there is something not 'right' going on here. I do hope the answers to your questions have been answered sufficiently. I should've thought to include them with my original query.

Thank you for responding to my question and I will make sure to let you know what I find out from my doctor when I go. Do I reach you through this discussion to notify you?

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 6 hours later
- Removing the uterus for a benign condition (multiple fibroids), and removing the cervix as well gives me some relief about your current complain. Now malignancy is a remote possibility and the first possible diagnosis is vaginal infection. This can be easily treated by an experienced doctor.
- As for the indication of your hysterectomy, there are two things that I couldn't understand:
1- It is a very rare event that the surgeon is obliged to sacrifice the uterus during a myomectomy especially in a woman with no children and of young age. In addition, it is more strange that the decision was taken before the surgery.
In other words the doctor may say: "I will try to preserve your uterus but in the case of severe bleeding I will be obliged to remove it in order to save your life XXXXXXX not "I am going to remove the uterus from the start because you have multiple myomata!".
Even if the patient has cancer, there are policies to preserve her fertility.
2- A scar of a myomectomy is not a contraindication for pregnancy. It only means the the mode of delivery will be a cesarean section.
Anyway, according to the current situation there is very little to worry about but I advise you to visit a different doctor (other than the doctor who did the hysterectomy) and I am interested to know the result.
Yes, you can reach me through healthcare magic.
Good luck.
Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.
Follow-up: Noticed discharge after hysterectomy. Noticed blood after urination and after sex. What to do? 2 days later
Thank you doctor. I did have one more question. While I'm waiting to see my doctor, should I buy and use one of the over-the-counter yeast infection medicines that can be bought at the drug store? I was just wondering since it seems to be an infection. I wouldn't let that replace a formal diagnosis from my doctor, but wasn't sure if that would help it out in the meantime. Would that be safe to do?

Thank you again for all of your help and input.

Answered by Dr. Ahmed Bahaa 3 hours later

The nature of the discharge you describe is not consistent with yeast infection. It seems to be a mixed microbiological infection. Yeast causes thick whitish curd like discharge and the main complaint is itching. Taking medications may alter the clinical picture and mislead the diagnosis on visiting your doctor.
If the appointment is near, I would prefer to wait and see what the doctor says.
Waiting to hear about the doctor's visit and I wish you speedy recovery.

Dr. Ahmed Bahaa.