Not getting sound sleep and feel fatigued and tired soon. What could be the cause?

Hello Doctor,
For the past few months, I am noticing that I am not getting sound sleep and I always feel fatigued through out the day. While I get up in the morning, I am not fresh and feel the same throughout the day and this is hampering my day to day activities. I get tired very soon as well.
Posted Thu, 4 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 12 hours later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with poor quality sleep. I would advise you to follow steps of sleep hygiene including avoiding naps at other times of day; avoid tea/coffee/caffeinated soft drinks after seven pm; ensure darkness and comfort of sleeping room and standardising time of going to bed and waking up. If you still have difficulty, a sleep study can be done on recommendation of a psychiatrist or neurologist and suitable benzodiazepine or other appropriate drugs can be initiated. Disorders like OSA/Obstructive sleep apnoea can be diagnosed with a sleep study. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar G