Nose injury, MRI normal, slurred speech and nausea. Coughing excessively.

Neurologist, Surgical
My child was hit in the nose at basketball game. She can understand but can only say yes and no. Mri is fine. After game she could talk. Within a couple of hours speech was slurred and she was nauseous. She also started coughing excessively after the game.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 5 hours later
A hit on the nose or the face can cause all these symptoms due to a concussion in the brain or rarely may be due to associated cervical injury.
If all the symptoms are improving over a period of time or have recovered, you can continue with present medications.
If symptoms still persist, I would suggest that a magnetic resonance imaging scan (MRI scan) of the brain and cervical spine be done to look for any delayed complications of injury.
I hope you found this information useful.
I wish your daughter a speedy recovery.
Dr Praveen K Nath XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon